Monday 17 March 2014

Initial Sketches and Ideas.

So keeping some of my research in mind I started doodling some initial ideas in my sketchbook. Not really trying to stick to any specific theme really, just drawing and seeing what I come up with.

 Few sketches, one of a generic bulky monster with a bone mask. The other is more of a slender robotic sci-fi design. Something I resolved early to try and stay away from during this project.


Below is a sketch inspired by the game "Outlast", a monster that looks as if he is contained within a straightjacket, however it is just a hard carapce, under which his arms are folded ready to strike.


Continuing on from the idea of having the arms folded up underneath the carapace, this was a quick sketch to explore the possibility of having more than two arms.


Slightly more detailed sketch, still exploring the same design only this time trying to add some function to the forms such as having them able to fit the arms inside along with thinking about how they would unfold when the creature attacked.


For this sketch I wanted it to be a more intelligent, civil looking creature rather than just some horrible monster. As I get tired of just doing monsters sometimes.


Trying to blend the more intelligent looking creature with some more insectoid anatomy.


Another insect style creature, mainly designed for mobility and speed.


A totally different design, I was trying to stick to human anatomy in general but I thought this was a cool design, especially given how it can rear up and use its front "legs" to operate or attack.


Generic Human!


A kind of dinosaur like/avian sketch, I like the way the skin would hang off of this, I based it on the Kaiju from Pacific Rim along with the folds you see on Komodo Dragons.


What started as being a Gargoyle type creature just turned into a generic, giant winged bat monster.


And again, but in a more stereotypical Gargoyle-like pose.


Another brute style character sketch, I liked the jawline on this guy along with his multiple eyes.


Yet another insect style creature. Trying something a bit different by attempting to make him look more delicate and fragile than the others, something not perhaps built for combat, more intelligent perhaps.


This guy I tried to put in even more insect anatomy into a roughly human form, hence the extended torso and extra arms being the different sections of an insects body.


I rather like how this guy looks almost aquatic, however Im wanting to stray away from armoured designs to focus on anatomy.


Another brute character. Fairly generic bulky anatomy but with the addition of his sunken head, it makes for an interesting silhouette I think.


Random insect sketching. I like the one o the right because it seems to integrate the hard shell and organic forms much better than I have previously.


This was me trying to take the insect sketch from the previous page and elaborate on some of the ideas, whilst trying to create something that looks less aggressive and more peaceful/civil.


Elaborating on the previous design with a full body sketch, thinking about how some of the insects anatomy could have evolved into things that echo robes or garments.


A more in depth look at the arm of the insects and how certain aspects like the sensory hairs could have evolved into more of a mating display or show of aggression.


Rough sketch based loosely around a Seer Priest from "Brute Force"


Same as before but altering a bit to have a bit more flare and interest to the design, aswell as a lack of clothes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment